Sentinels of Terra

Blablabla, fluff stuff, Lysander kick some guys ass, then again, and again…and one more time and was stuck up about it. And scroll (I mean flip) through the pictures of yellow Marines. Aha! The rules.

Bolter drill is now twin-linked at half distance – so…it’s worse at long range (which Fists are supposed to be good at) and better at close range? Whatever, I’ll take it as twin-linked bolters are pretty sick kids. Centurions can be Elites and Heavy Support and Assault Centurions can be Elite and Fast Attack (why are slow units creeping into Fast Attack?). This can free up heavy support a bit if you wanted to run Devs (better with Fists), Thunderfires, Preds or Stalkers so not terrible.

Captain Garadon is stoopid. He’s cheap which is great but WTF DOES HE DO? BEATSTICKS NEED TO BEAT FACE. And I lose a Troops UNIT to become an HQ. No thank you (he can take the cover ignoring bolt pistol and shove it where the son don’t shine as well). A 25 point banner which gives out counter-attack to the…bearer along with crusader and the usual re-roll morale/pinning – ┬ánext. Bones allows +1 warp charge and re-rolls on psychic tests which is decent for using Tele powers where you might actually want four warp charges but that’s on the few occasions that does happen and on Ld10, you’re pretty reliable anyway. At 25 points… its 10 points too much to see regular use I think. Well yay, an AP4 weapon that costs points – takes to S6 which is nice but the whole old Catalyst style power is just blah – I’m not taking a Chaplain anyway, nor should you. Eye is basically an 18″ Auspec which also says get fucked to buildings – this is actually pretty damn solid against anyone running around with Fortresses or Bastions; especially when coupled with Imperial Fist Chapter Tactics. I foresee far less whining about fortifications in match-up type tournaments as this one piece of wargear gets allied in.

Warlord traits… Hey Space Marines! Ya, you. You got one-upped son. Times 6. +1 to building damage (okay there’s a theme going here) isn’t great but it helps when those forts do come along; IWND? LYSANDER! OI! +1/-1 for Reserves? Done. Fearless meh but Counter-attack is pretty solid for a unit that is designed to be a counter charge unit or bubble-wrap. -1 to building damage the warlord’s embarked upon can make for some stupid strategies for Fists hiding in buildings I imagine. And…. another Orbital Bombardment! That’s just rude.

So… all in all, nothing major. If you were going to run Imperial Fists, the better Warlord trait might be good or if you’re jamming a bunch of stuff in Heavy Support and need that flexibility. I wait for Pedro using Imperial Fists Chapter Tactics to take an army from this supplement.

Let the raging begin for that!

Otherwise it’s not Black Legion bad but not Farsight good.

42 Responses to “Sentinels of Terra”

1. Frankio9 says:

Doesn’t Lysander keep his Codex Warlord trait?

Do they keep the regular Tank Hunter bonus to Devs?

3. Gruebot says:

When playing Imperial Fists do you have to use the supplement version of Bolter Drill? or can you chose to use the SM Codex version?

4. Omegon says:

Hang on, wait for Pedro doing what? What did I miss – is it something to do with Spess Mehrens allying with themselves to gain chapter traits?

5. derreavatar says:

Poor yellow guys- better stick to Vanilla.
    BTW , an ethernal warrior demon prince is not so bad.

6. SomeCallMeTim says:

SM only get ML2 librarians, but I think the points for the bones are okay. If my staff librarian had wielded it, he would have slayed the that 2+ save destroyer lord with WS and MSS and it would have felt soooo gooood
    And it works on rolling double 6.

The bolt pistol is the only bolt pistol that can be carried by a terminator which… Still doesn't make it worth it.

I dunno, I think re-rolls on psychic tests is pretty valuable — PLUS an additional warp charge and that's a pretty handy piece of gear.

I mean, I've run GK with Coteaz et al…..you fail often enough that you feel it.

8. abusepuppy says:

The Bolt Pistol is cute- it's 5pts and lets you do some shenanigans with Precision Shots and such. I think you could do worse.

Most of the rest of the stuff is unimpressive; Bolters at half range is nice for a Drop Pod army I guess, but I think I'd often rather have the flexibility. It does work with Sternguard Ammo, though, yeah?

Warlord table is pretty crap again, but no surprise there.

9. akorndr2 says:

I think the whole pod army works for this army I find it cute so why not

I'm sooo happy I spent the last two years collecting, building, and painting my Dark Angels in advance of their Sixth Edition codex revamp.

Jeeesus, I was expecting the vanilla Space Marine codex to have some new toys and fancy tricks in it, but I didn't expect to see Codex: Dark Angels so completely outclassed.

11. kirione says:

The banner specifically says just the bearer? Thought those rules are conferred to the unit attached to the model. I would think CSR/CA for 25 points is a bargain considering that DA would get a slightly different version of that banner for the price of a command squad + 45 points.

Overall I get that they want to provide variation and options to give these funny little rules that may change the outcome of a game, but for 25 points, I think most people would rather upgrade their guns… So many overpriced boondoggles in all of the GW codices. It's almost like they need to fill a quota of wargear and the prices are just slapped on via some wheel of points they spin before printing the final copy.