Space Wolves – Stromfang / Stormwolf (Pictures and Rumors)

We’re keeping pace with the rumors but with Games Workshop’s new “stuff everything down their throats fast” philosophy it’s hard to keep up when I’m not on the Internet everyday… Summaries are going up here in the forums though. More pics / info after break.

Stormwolf – Fast Attack – Points = Land Raider minus 35
BS4 – F12 S12 R12 HP3 – Vehicle (Flyer, Hover, Transport)

Wargear:
Twin-linked helfrost cannon
Twin-linked lascannon
Two twin-linked heavy bolters – May be replaced with a Skyhammer launcher for free, or two twin-linked multi-meltas for 20pts
Ceramite Plating

Special Rules:
Assault Vehicle
Power of the Machine Spirit

Transport:
Transport Capacity – sixteen models
Fire Points – none
Access Points – One ramp at the front of the hull

Stormfang Gunship – Heavy Support – Points = Land Raider minus 30
BS4 – F12 S12 R12 HP3 – Vehicle (Flyer, Hover Transport)

Wargear:
Helfrost destructor
Two twin-linked heavy bolters – May be replaced with a Skyhammer launcher for free, or two twin-linked multi-meltas for 20 pts
Two Stormstrike missiles – May be replaced with a twin-linked lascannon for 15 pts
Ceramite Plating

Special Rules:
Power of the Machine Spirit

Transport:
Transport Capacity – six models
Fire Points – none
Access Points – One at rear of the hull

Helfrost cannon
dispersed – R24″ S6 AP3 Heavy 1, Helfrost, Blast
focussed – R24″ S8 AP1 Heavy 1, Helfrost

Helfrost destructor
dispersed – R24″ S6 AP3 Heavy 1, Helfrost, Large Blast
focussed – R24″ S8 AP1 Heavy 1, Helfrost, Lance

Helfrost – If a model suffers one or more unsaved wounds from this weapon, it must pass a separate Strength test for each wound suffered or be removed from play

Grey Hunters are not cheaper, they are still 15/model.

They come with Bolter, Bolt Pistol, grenades, ATSKNF, Counter Attack and Acute Senses.

They can have one model upgraded to a Wolf Guard, for +10 points, who gets +1Ld/attack and access to wargear.  (Same as veteran sergeants, except that if not taken, there isn’t a “character” in the unit the way normal sergeants are).

They can take 1 special weapon, or 2 at 10 man.  They are limited only to special weapons and not heavy as per normal.  They pay the same points as space marines now, not a discount and not a free one at 10.

They can also take plasma pistols at 1 per 5 in addition to special weapons.

They can swap their bolter for a chainsword at no cost, on a model-by-model basis, and it specifies that it must also be represented on the model.

Wolf banners are still in, but aren’t as good and cost 15 points not 10.

Bloodclaws are 13 points per model, minimum 5 up to 20.  Similar as above for upgrades.  Unlike what’s in stormclaw, if you upgrade a Bloodclaw to a Wolf Guard he gets +1 WS and BS (to take him to 4/4).  They have rage now instead of their former +d3 attacks on the charge.

Wolf Guard terminators are now an entry, as are Wolf Guard non terminators, so no mixing and matching.  No more pack leader separating of Wolf Guard to join other squads.  Just upgrades in unit.

While I’m sure that a lot of people will be flipping over the loss of certain iconic character elements for space wolves, the new stuff in the book isn’t just “Wolf This” “Wolf That” and they still remain sufficiently divergent from normal marines, with points costs that are now in line with them.  Though I won’t deny that they definitely were toned down in a lot of ways (that they weren’t really overpowered in by any real means) they have been compensated for by gaining access to things like space marine AA tanks, a new flyer and some really nifty formations.

Logan Grimnar and Bjorn are Lords of War.

187 Responses to “Space Wolves – Stromfang / Stormwolf (Pictures and Rumors)”

That looks so bad lol. Great rules though so will still sell like hotcakes.

I will probably just use a Storm Raven with different armament to represent this.

2. Jason says:

It doesn't sound too bad.

3. Kirby says:

I'm disappointed with the Wolf Guard change if true. That added a lot of character and fun units though they often weren't used as they became inefficient anyway.

4. Jason says:

The loss of uber grit is annoying though. I'm not sure Grey Hunters would be worth 15 points without it.

oh good another flying box

6. lords2001 says:

I like it. It looks effective, powerful and direct. Very space wolf.

7. Papadocgr says:

Looks like a wolven head!

8. thesearemywickedwords says:

All I wanted was access to the Storm Raven and Storm Talon – very Norse type names anyway, will just have to paint them up for Storm Wing formation now :(

9. Albert says:

Looks like the StormWolf has the TL hell cannon on top of the cockpit, so that reduces even more the 24" range when shooting forward. At least is a 360º turret.

10. CKuno says:

"with Games Workshop's new 'stuff everything down their throats fast' philosophy"

Honestly, I don't see how increasing their release schedule is akin to stuffing everything down our throats. I'm just confused as to why so many people are acting like this is some kind of detrimental thing that GW is doing TO us. No one acts like PP is stuffing things down our throat with their constant release schedule, so why does GW get slapped with that?

As for the flyer, I like it. I was a fan of the Caestus Assault Ram, and this is pretty much that cut in half aesthetic wise, so it'll be cool to see some of them on the table.

11. Tim W says:

GW's gone full retard on this one.

12. Etna's Vassal says:

Am I the only one who remembers how damn unfluffy this is? Wolves fight with their feet on the ground, unless they would trust one of these things to a Blood Claw. Or are they going to retcon that too?

13. Hakon says:

I'm leaving the hobby if grey hunters don't get the option to have bolters AND close combat weapons, i don't mind paying for it, but grey hunters are not grey hunters without it…… either that or i will just field them as a chaos army.

14. Craig says:

Downside is no more long fangs with cyclone wolf guard thrown in, upside is now it's easier to fit 10 man squads into a rhino or drop pod and you can still get double special weapons as well as the combi weapon. Overall I think making the wolf guard a sergeant upgrade works out for the better even if it was a fun and fluffy mechanic.

As to the flyer, well I guess they have to get down from orbit somehow and sometimes a Thunderhawk is just overkill. I agree I'm not sure they would bother making their own flyer type but they don't do anything else the conventional way so meh.

15. Wavefire says:

Well let's see.

GH: Nerfed, sergeant is nice but but no bolters and no cheap special weapons means they're vanilla marines with no option for heavy weapon.
    BC: Buffed but still crap. Rage won't save them with WS3.
    WG: Basically gone, was a neat rule to mix and match but they'll be used as much as vanilla termis now.

Flyers are nice but don't make up for the nerfs and lack of usable buffs. SW stays as sub par in 7th.

16. BAH!!! Screw 7th Edition! I'll just wait a few weeks for 8th!

17. Bobby g says:

Well here I sat waiting patiently for the wolves codex to brighten my storm cold days and I hear they are gonna cost more, be less strong, have less options, be more main stream and all this of a group of “I don’t give a dam what people want ya to do, let’s just kill heretics, tell stories and drink!” I don’t think GW THOUGHT THIS THROUGH!

The wolves are a no none sense, don’t take no crap of of no body legion who are the sanction of the imperium. How is this right if they are now weaker than those they are supposed to be sanctioning!

Why not send an invite to the heretics for a all you can eat on fenris?

Come on GW, wolves arriving I shoe boxes?

Blood claws with no bite?

Gray hunters who look like space marines?

No update on the lets whoop some zeenos with FENRISIAN PURE PSYCIC ABILITIES?

Put your brains in gear and think outlandish hulking monster wolf dudes who won’t conform, not SPACE MARINE LOOK ALIKES IN A SHOE BOX!

18. fleshterror says:

What about our best unit the wolfen. Any news on those?

19. derreavatar says:

The lack of CCW makes no sense, i've build a whole army based on that, and won't change a single bit because of a new edition. I don't get why on hell they still cost more than vanilla SM now .Also the single attached 2+ model, while certainly not game breaking, was nice , and sometimes saved your ass both in assaults and counter assaults. Just hope to see something new now, because SW look like boring SM. But we should wait and see. Also, SM have access to grav weapons, if SW don't have them, they are quite crap. Not only centurion devastators, also combigrav and grav guns on bykes are a thing. SW should be able to do SOMETHING in melee, but in my opinion, they are rather weak now. Also, their special weapons at full price is quite a setback- at the end , you will be paying a lot of points more to have less, if you compare with vanilla SM. But at the end, we should see the whole book before commening, because a single unit entry can change a codex's performace completely.

20. Cazarir says:

Or then, maybe we can wait until the actual codex release before making holy pledges to tear GW out of our hearts. It is a normal codex release, those things which are now good will be nerfed, those which were previously bad will be buffed, and there will be a new unit or two, which are either tau fliers, usable or riptide.

Don't know why space wolves needed a new codex though, I think blood angels could had used it first, space wolves were so good when they were released that they were still good even after all this time, while blood angels cough in their wheelchair, remembering the good ol' days when you would see assault marines with jump packs on a tournament table.

21. Eclipse says:

These are just a rehash of rumours, minus the stormwolf rules, that was fed to Faeit by someone who calculated the stormclaw box set rules/points. While not taking into account how inaccurate the Stormclaw points costs were in comparison to the 7th edition New Ork codex.

The main reason the rumours will be proved false is the fact that GW would never specify you NEED to represent the models with the appropriate Boltgun/BP or BP/ccw when the majority of their kit wouldn't allow for this.

Also, the relevant rumour post on faeit said that SWs would be getting the AA tanks and centurions from the C:SM book. GW wouldn't do this ever because it means cutting out potential revenue of people wanting these units and having to make an allied detachment to go with them.
    http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/space-wolves… < –link to original post.

It's utter drivel. We will wait and see when some proper rule rumours come out.

22. Sethis_II says:

Frankly it makes me happy they realised that Grey Hunters were Space Marines but BETTER IN EVERY SINGLE POSSIBLE WAY and toned them down. And please don't tell me how having a Heavy Weapon somehow justifies the crapness of Tacticals.

At least now you pay points or have to trade to get the benefits. It's 5 years late, but it seems that SW are no longer "Marines, but better" like they have been for a long time.

23. Odinsport says:

Before anyone makes any “wolf hater” comments towards me, I have played ONLY wolves since 2nd edition. Grey hunters are just space marines and mine are all in “John Woo” double gun poses. They still get their charge bonus whether charging or being charged. Blood claws are basically scouts with power armour and extra attacks on the charge. None of these changes are a big deal as the character of the the chapter comes in the forum of special characters, versatile terminators, long fangs who can split to shoot multiple targets and thunderwolves with toughness bonuses. One thing everyone seems to forget is that the most important part of the date wolves image is the iconography on the models, not the load out. Sure, they may be a couple of points more than vanilla marines but they will be just as effective and I for one will adapt my play style to suit. I’m definitely liking the idea of throwing a flying brick at my opponent and unloading 15 blood claws and an attached wolf priest in their grill! The grey hunters will drop pod in or razorback in, making their dedicated transport a “secured objective unit. They are more useful for scoring and defending or raining melta on vehicles than they are for attacking all out anyway and have been since 7th edition came along. If you want a combat non vanilla marine army…….go find some tyranids.

24. Odinsport says:

Before anyone makes any “wolf hater” comments towards me, I have played ONLY wolves since 2nd edition. Grey hunters are just space marines and mine are all in “John Woo” double gun poses. They still get their charge bonus whether charging or being charged. Blood claws are basically scouts with power armour and extra attacks on the charge. None of these changes are a big deal as the character of the the chapter comes in the form of special characters, versatile terminators, long fangs who can split to shoot multiple targets and thunderwolves with toughness bonuses. One thing everyone seems to forget is that the most important part of the wolves image is the iconography on the models, not the load out. Sure, they may be a couple of points more than vanilla marines but they will be just as effective and I for one will adapt my play style to suit. I’m definitely liking the idea of throwing a flying brick at my opponent and unloading 15 blood claws and an attached wolf priest in their grill! The grey hunters will drop pod in or razorback in, making their dedicated transport a “secured objective unit. They are more useful for scoring and defending or raining melta on vehicles than they are for attacking all out anyway and have been since 7th edition came along. If you want a combat non vanilla marine army…….go find some tyranids.

25. Valroth says:

I've fine with it as long as you can still buy the bolter, bolt pistol, and ccw combo as a upgrade …. if not I have to remodel at least half of my space wolves, which sucks. Hopefully they end up being able to get the chain sword for 1-2 pts per model.

26. Aurenian says:

I don't see them making you break all your basic troops. I'll wait til I see the actual book.

As for the flyer. It's the first space marine flyer that's come out that I think looks good without modification.
    To me that looks like a boarding torpedo. I see that thing just coming through the atmosphere almost vertical and blasting away at the ground before levelling out at the last moment to drop off troops.

If you read the Horus Heresy books the space wolves use landing craft all the time, and tend to drive them at breakneck speed.

27. Redmoo says:

Does no one else think the design is fine because they look like D-Day type landing craft basically?

28. nintendo_ted says:

All the crying about loss of CCW…… Shoot more….Close Combat is dead…..GG.

29. Guest says:

Honestly, when looking at the flyer, I keep thinking of assault boats from BFG. The melta immune seems a bit much when that thing is already flying. (hard to hit) One thing I'm interested to see is how Space wolves will deal with allies, shoving a nice buffer character with Grey Hunters or Blood Claws, or even an allied unit of TH/SS termies in that flying thing and toss them at the enemy. while having the full benefit of Long fang support and Thunderwolf cav/Wolve chaff to tie stuff up. (or absorb overwatch)

30. Threadmiser says:

Wow, can Spess Mahreens get a flyer the isn't a Lego brick with jet engines strapped on?