As I’ll detail below, these vary in quality from extremely useful to good-but-situational to meh to lolbad. In many cases, just a bit of tweaking would have avoided this all-over-the-placeness.
Generic Adeptus Astartes Stratagems
- Relics of the Chapter (1 or 3 CP) – Spending a single CP to get an additional Relic isn’t the worst idea out there, but 3 to get 2 is too much, imo.
- Linebreaker Bombardment (1 CP) – Big potential damage here, but unconvinced it’s worth jumping through all the hoops you need to jump through to make it happen. And unless you bring more than 3 Vindis, your opponent only has to knock one out to prevent you from using this Stratagem.
- Killshot (1 CP) – This is a pretty good Stratagem if you are already using 3+ Predators, but I wouldn’t build a list around it.
- Chapter Masters (3 CP) – If you’re not using Guilliman, Calgar, Shrike, Kantor or Helbrecht, you are using this Stratagem, period. It’s just too good to pass up.
- Orbital Bombardment (3 CP) – Too random and too costly to justify using. If it had a set range and/or hit automatically, it might have been a different story.
- Cluster Mines (1 CP) – Cheap way to cause some Mortal Wounds reliably. Good if you are already using Scout Bikes. That said, Hellfire Shells can do pretty much the same thing but from a distance, so it’s a fair bit easier to use.
- Masterful Marksmanship (1 CP) – Not bad. I’m not crazy about Sternguards but if you are using them already, why not?
- Empyric Channelling (1 CP) – A good Strategem hindered by the fact that libbies just aren’t as hot they once were, especially when compared to Captains, Lieutenants and Techmarines.
- Datalink Telemetry (1 CP) – Junk. Waste of a CP.
- Hellfire Shells (1 CP) – Pretty solid. I wouldn’t plan on using all my CPs on it but a very useful tool to have when a tough target is down to its last few wounds.
- Auspex Scan (2 CP) – Money! Stratagems like this have the potential to really influence when and where your opponent deep-strikes his units, and the threat alone is a useful tool.
- Tactical Flexibility (1 CP) – Extremely situation (at best).
- Flakk Missile (1 CP) – Much like Hellfire Shells, this is a good thing to have in your back pocket when an enemy Flyer is stubbornly refusing to die.
- Armour of Contempt (1 CP) – This is a joke, right? Wasting 1 CP for a 33% chance of ignoring a Mortal Wound? Yeah, ok…
- Only in Death Does Duty End (2 CP) – Situational. Guilliman killed in a duel with a Knight? Ok. Random Captain fighting a bunch of Ork Boyz? Not so much.
- Honour the Chapter (3 CP) – Very, very good when paired with a competent assault unit. Can potentially turn the tide of a game. Expensive, though, so not to be used with meh assault units.
- Widsom of the Ancients (1 CP) – A solid Stratagem in and of itself, but most list should be getting rerolls either through Bobby G or the CM/Lt combo, so perhaps not as hot within context.
- Death to the Traitors! (1 CP) – Another situational one. A big unit of Assault Terminators fighting some Chaos Termies? Yeah, maybe. Some Tactical Marines punching some Cultists? Hells no.
- Tremor Shells (1 CP) – Situationaly McSituationalface. Big bunch of ‘Zerkers 10 inches from your line? Go nuts and make them lose a turn of assault (which equals 2 for them). A half-strength unit of Trukk Boyz in the same situation? Probably best to save the CP for something else.
- Ultramarines – Scions of Guilliman (1 CP) – This is a good Stratagem but again… Guilly/CM/LT.
- Imperial Fists – Bolter Drill (1 CP) – LOL this is a joke, right?
- Black Templars – Abhor the Witch (1 CP) – I don’t hate this, though a bit more reliability would have been nice since you are using rare and precious CPs for it, after all.
- Raven Guard – Strike from the Shadows (1 CP) – Like I said in my review of the Chapter Tactics, you can’t look at RG without factoring in this Stratagem. I think pretty much every understands how incredibly good this is. My only question is: is there a limit to how many times you can use it in Matched Play, since technically, Stratagems are limited to being used once per phase each?
- Salamanders – Flamecraft (1 CP) – If Flamers/Heavy Flamers weren’t so stupid expensive (for what they do), this would be a good one, but they are and so this ain’t.
- White Scars – Born In the Saddle (1 CP) – Is an extra 8 inch of movement worth a CP? Sometime it may be but good planning should lessen the need for this.
- Iron Hands – Machine Empathy (1 CP) – Not worth it. The vehicles that put out a lot of firepower who could make good use of this already have PotMS.
In my view, the standaouts are Relics of the Chapter, Chapter Master, Auspex Scan and Honour of the Chapter with honourable mentions going to Hellfire Shells. Of course, Raven Guard players have Strike from the Shadows which is just bananas. The rest I feel are either situational or just plain bad.