Tyranids and Grey Knights FAQ / Dark Angels Chapter Focus

GK and Tyranid FAQs dropped. Grey Knights is very basic with just a slight change to Psychic Channelling while the Tyranid FAQ has a few more tidbits. Most importantly, they did not answer the Overrun / Adrenaline Surge question. Otherwise, a few clarifications such as adding Hive Fleet to Spores and confirming multiple movements in a phase. Oddly, they say Onslaught does not overrule Metabolic Overdrive but also do not mention Opportunistic Advance. Frustrating. Lictor Pheromone Trail ends up being obsolete as they clarify that wherever you set up the unit that is where the unit must come in. Likely an oversight (particularly given to actually put anything in as reinforcements, they have to be put in a locale!?) but standard rules looping conundrums for GW. If this remains that way, Lictors are largely useless though the Deathleaper still has interesting qualities…

Anyway, no big changes. Nothing like poor Imperial Guard / AM, so there’s that. Tyranids are still fast and mean and have one of the greatest sub-detachments of the game in Kronos spore mines.

So, onto Dark Angels. I know we have been quiet about Blood Angels and I will run through them shortly but the conversations you have been having with us in the comments have sparked some classic 3++ back and forth leading to… well more articles. Until then, here’s the DA preview. The Chapter Tactic is pretty ass – stop giving us re-roll 1’s when we are standing still GW, this is not a game of standing still. Particularly when Space Marines have such easy access to re-roll 1’s / all hit auras. I do see a detachment of Hellblasters using Weapons from the Dark Age and Grim Resolve to good effect but man, Grim Resolve is pretty lame as far as Chapter Tactics go (if it was just a flat re-roll 1s, perfect thanks!).

The SW / DA stratagem is just… weird. 25% chance to deal two Mortal Wounds to two of your characters. 50% chance to deal one Mortal Wound to one character and the other gets buffed and 25% chance for double buff. Given most characters are already at 2+ to hit, you’re really only fishing for the +S and +A and I’d rather not take Mortal Wounds before the game begins… Edit: Regardless of the failed roll, you still get the buffs which makes this slightly better; I just do not understand why the random roll for damage; 1 CP for +1 Strength / Attack on two models is not exactly breaking the game or the bank. Anyway. I look forward to people using Hunt the Fallen on all the Tyranids out there. They sure are keeping those secrets close… Fortress of Shields seems like a nice protection option for a large Deathwing unit but that’s a hefty investment in a unit that is vulnerable to plasma in an army which has just made plasma better.

See the full details below but given the poor reveal that Blood Angels got, do not expect too much more from Dark Angels this week (I am amused I said poor reveal given that previously GW would reveal…well nothing; we are never happy!).

Chapter Focus: Dark Angels

The Dark Angels are coming – and they’re bringing with them new units, new Stratagems and more that’ll catch them up with their Codex-compliant brethren. Codex: Dark Angels is absolutely packed with new content, and we thought we’d show you some of the most exciting stuff you’ve got to look forward to – starting with their army-wide special rule.

The Dark Angels have an army-wide ability, equivalent to Chapter Tactics, which helps them keep their Elite units from breaking in the face of a poor Morale test, as well as aiding the shooting power of the entire army.

Grim Resolve is great for units of Terminators in particular – you’ll be free to take 10-man squads without having to worry about the cost of morale. Meanwhile, Hellblasters are even deadlier, as re-rolling 1s helps them avoid slaying themselves with a bad roll to hit.

There are all sorts of Stratagems to benefit your army, from Codex: Space Marines standbys like Killshot and Flakk Missile, to more esoteric options based around the unique ways in which the Dark Angels go to war.

Weapons from the Dark Age is the perfect Stratagem to pair with your plasma-armed units, whether they’re Company Veterans with plasma guns, Hellblasters or Ravenwing Black Knights armed with plasma talons.

One of the most thematic Stratagems in the book is Hunt the Fallen, which makes for some exciting narrative hooks in your games.

Hunt the Fallen gives one character in the enemy army an additional attack (representing their fierce desire to keep the secrets of the Fallen safe), but in return allows your Dark Angels units attacking them to re-roll failed hits, as well as giving your Deathwing and Ravenwing a re-rollable charge. This is superb for making a deadly strike in the first turn with a unit of Deathwing Knights.

Speaking of the Deathwing, there’s plenty in the new codex for fans of the 1st Company of the Unforgiven. Most excitingly, you can now clad your Deathwing in Cataphractii and Tartaros armour – the former providing nigh-unparalleled durability for your units, and the latter allowing for greater mobility.

There’s still plenty of good reasons to take your “standard” Deathwing troops – the Fortress of Shields, for instance, turns the already-durable Deathwing Knights into a nigh-impenetrable wall of ceramite.

This means that enemies will never wound you on better than a 3+ and will usually be wounding on a 5+ or worse – pretty awesome, right?

Finally, Deathwing Dreadnoughts and Land Raiders are back thanks to a new Stratagem. With Inner Circle, powerful units – like the Contemptor Dreadnought, which is now finally available to the Dark Angels! – will be able to benefit from the nearby presence of Deathwing Ancients and Belial.

The new codex was also an opportunity for the Design Studio to work out how the Dark Angels are structured in the wake of the UItima founding. As you may know, most Space Marine companies now have two lieutenants that serve alongside the company Captain. In the Dark Angels, this has been expanded to include the Ravenwing – the legendary, all-mounted 2nd Company of the Unforgiven. Ravenwing lieutenants are known as Talonmasters, and they serve alongside Sammael (or his successor equivalent) with specially modified Land Speeders. On the tabletop, these guys are pretty nifty. With a twin heavy bolter and a twin assault cannon, they’ve got a punishing number of shots (particularly with Sammael nearby providing re-rolls to hit) and they also help the rest of your army excel, removing cover saves from nearby enemies and providing your Dark Angels with re-rolls of 1s to wound.

This is already pretty awesome before we factor in the many powerful Warlord Traits and Relics of Caliban available to Dark Angels characters. Our favourite combo is the Huntsman Warlord Trait and the Lion’s Roar relic; together, you’ll be able to shoot characters out of the units they’re supporting.

 

Brilliant Strategist, on the other hand, is a perfect fit for a more cerebral Dark Angels player. You’ll be able to get your Command Points back on a 5+, and you’ll effectively get a free command re-roll once per game to boot!

Finally, for your Librarians – from Ezekiel to your Primaris reinforcements – there are 3 new psychic powers to take advantage of using some nasty Leadership-based mechanics. One trick you can pull of is using Mind Wipe to drop the stats on an enemy character before following up with a deadly Trephination attack:

Grim!

You’ll be able to renew your hunt for the Fallen with these new weapons very soon – make sure to pre-order your Dark Angels codex this weekend.

 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

20 Responses to “Tyranids and Grey Knights FAQ / Dark Angels Chapter Focus”

  1. Stefan says:

    Imho the DA stuff is pretty lame from a tournament gamer perspective, but from a fluff perspective it is pretty nice.
    However, the reveals for the BA seem to point to a much more "round" army.

    • Andy says:

      Hmmmm,

      my opinion was the blood angels make a nice detachment, but the same issue GK have, all the stuff you want to deep strike is great, all the stuff you want to deploy normally is un inspired, almost certainly going to be a storm raven full of stuff and will always leave you open to alpha strike.

      I am intrigued to see if the blood angels can replace a GK detachment, perhaps even raven guard, but with the two primarch tag team running around i really can't see it happening.

      For a Heavy Support detachment though, this might easily rival Salamanders. The hell blasters are just outright better than Salamanders, the devastors probably a bit worse, but you can add in a librarian with a jump pack, to run around mind wiping tanks (for having weak willed machine spirits).

      Will it be competitive? Not sure. The no reroll 1's when disembarking vehicles hurts so much. units like hell blasters don't fire twice often.

  2. Kadeton says:

    25% chance to deal two Mortal Wounds to two of your characters. 50% chance to deal one Mortal Wound to one character and the other gets buffed and 25% chance for double buff.

    You make it sound like the model doesn't get the buff if it suffers the mortal wound. Unless the model dies, it gets the buff either way. ("Each model that survives…") Since you're unlikely to use this on models that only have one wound, the buff is guaranteed for both characters. Unfortunately it's the only good thing we've seen for the Dark Angels so far. :/

  3. NinetyNineNo says:

    Well, for what it’s worth, the offensive psychic power is a better Cacophonic Choir and has a fairly nice damage output against Ld 6 or so.

  4. Prometheus says:

    Reasonably sure the stratagem buffs the characters regardless. They're not going to die to one wound. I would totally take that. Sounds awesome.

  5. Prometheus says:

    You're poo-pooing Grim Resolve and all, but I'm pretty sure Hellblasters alone make that worthwhile. Even gives you a reason to use the Heavy 1 option.

    Use that Dark Age stratagem. Overcharge, Str 9, AP-4, Dmg 3? 5 of them? 10 even? That's better than lascannons, really.

    You're not going to want to keep a Captain near all your rear firebases.

    • Andy says:

      Not sure i ever considered taking the heavy plasma, it seems to compare terribly to devastators with heavy plasma.

      I think grim resolve is good overall, its just very annoying it doesnt work when disembarking vehicles, since it means you really can't relay on it for hellblasters getting out of repulsors.

      I think what might be good is having a jump pack captain escort them til they are out the reulsor, then their grim resolve takes over as they sit in mid field in cover going pewpewpew

      • Prometheus says:

        It's both +1 str and -1 Ap. That matters.

        And you can have many more plasma in the squad. I would nearly always take the rapidfire version but with his I could see a case for the sit back and shoot, is all.

  6. vipoid says:

    Oh look, yet another free army-wide Commissar ability. I'm so glad actual Commissars were nerfed to hell.

    • Prometheus says:

      Except they're marines. They were never going to be losing very many models to morale, anyway. It's actually borderline useless.

    • MidnightSun says:

      Yet another! I know! It's sickening, now there's a whole *two* armies in the game with only-take-one-casualty-from-morale. I wouldn't mind so much if Dark Angels and Eldar weren't already dominating the meta with their 20-man units, but no, they have to twist the knife and drive the already lackluster Guard further down the ladder…

      t. an Imperial Guard player

      • Andy says:

        Quite true.

        Once more another nerf to my 4 knights army as they 1:1000 times i would have made 2 space marines flee, its now only 1. Disgusting.

  7. Gather says:

    >Given most characters are already at 2+ to hit, you’re really only fishing for the +S and +A

    Without it being FAQ'ed, the Stratagem doesn't specify a limit on how low your Weapon Skill can be so it would be pushed down to 1+ to hit. That 1+ to hit would be useful to counter to hit penalties (See, Thunder Hammer, Stealth Suits, or Shadow Spectres). Some players would be excited to have a Belial doing 5 S10 AP -3, D3 attacks that hit on 2's (Re-rolling 1's).

  8. Dakkath says:

    "The SW / DA stratagem is just… weird."
    What stratagem? I don't see any stratagem in this article that mentions anything about buffing two of your characters or causing mortal wounds to them.

  9. Scuzgob says:

    oh boy its the Dark Angels i wonder what they get this edi-*falls into a deep slumber from which there is no return*

Leave a Reply