The trickling of information for 2018 begins with Chaos Daemons (expect Tau and Necrons to be next). Interestingly all units from Chaos Daemons get their full book bonuses (i.e. objective secured) and full access to traits and stratagems; however, need to specialise a detachment entirely on a particular God to get further benefits. This is an odd mix of what other multi-trait books such as Aeldari, Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines have but it is what it is. Looks like all units with get bonuses as well akin to everything but Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines.
Category: New Releases
GK and Tyranid FAQs dropped. Grey Knights is very basic with just a slight change to Psychic Channelling while the Tyranid FAQ has a few more tidbits. Most importantly, they did not answer the Overrun / Adrenaline Surge question. Otherwise, a few clarifications such as adding Hive Fleet to Spores and confirming multiple movements in a phase. Oddly, they say Onslaught does not overrule Metabolic Overdrive but also do not mention Opportunistic Advance. Frustrating. Lictor Pheromone Trail ends up being obsolete as they clarify that wherever you set up the unit that is where the unit must come in. Likely an oversight (particularly given to actually put anything in as reinforcements, they have to be put in a locale!?) but standard rules looping conundrums for GW. If this remains that way, Lictors are largely useless though the Deathleaper still has interesting qualities…
Blood Angels is out to pre-order later this week so Warhammer Community has started its previews. We already know that BA are getting Primaris Marines (along with all the other Marine toys such as Flyers and different Terminator armors) – not a big deal until they started getting price drops every time a new document was released (we will be looking at the shortly).
The units and gear affected by Chapter Approved changes are spread across various books, so I have attempted to compile them into one easy to read table that shows the before and after impact of the new changes.
There are two pieces of good news for Guard players. The first is that you are now off the hook; enough units have been hit with tweaks and points increases that your wins are going to be harder to come by, and you are going to have to work harder to claim each victory. This isn’t sarcasm either; personally I find it liberating when army building is more challenging and opponents less likely to blame your codex for their losses.
Points pictures are here! Let’s take a quick look, impacts at bottom of post.
So the points rumors floating around seem to be accurate. So major changes… (updating as I go; updated with clearer pictures):
The CA rumors have been swirling for a while now and we finally have some confirmation as Warhammer Community has released some tidbits. You can check the listed points changes and for the armies who not have a codex, their Warlord Trait, Relic and Stratagems on offer on the Facebook page (give it a like if you have not already; it’s a new one along with a new group page). Quickly running through the changes and their potential impact (I will consider each of these as factual currently but please take with salt until actually seen). There has also been some chatter on changing how detachments from other armies work – how though, we are not sure yet but this could drastically change army make up. Read more
Taken from Facebook by The Inner Circle.
As usual, take with a grain of salt. There are some unusual things in here but may be translation or communication errors.
I am also back from a 6 week holiday now so expect some posts that are not just about release information. Will be looking to finish the GK codex review, finally drop that GK weapons post, 8 battle reports and start some chit chat about Eldar and Tyranids as I get them on the table.
So the Codex is finally announced and a good friend of mine has given me some juicy tidbits.
Preorder on the 2nd of December
Available on the 9th of December
A few changes in a couple of units. Points moving to match the vanilla codex.
Take with a grain of salt. Translated from the facebook group.
- Behemoth: reroll failed charges
- Kraken: can charge after falling back
- Gorgon: reroll 1s to hit for fight phase
- jormungandr: always have cover bonus (I’m not sure if i read this right)
- hydra: reroll misses against units with less models during fight phase
- kronos: reroll 1s to hit for shooting, IF the unit doesn’t move
- Leviathan: looks to be the same as Salamander tactic but I’m not 100% sure
Neurothrope is now HQ, a character and no longer part of a zoanthrope unit. zoanthropes within 6″ of a neurothrope reroll 1s for psychic tests. the spirit leech thing now only heals 1 wound for a zoanthrope unit within 6″
Here’s are the bit lots and lots of people will go nuts about:
Copied from reddit user Mavester.
I’ve been seeing a few posts and comments asking and wondering about point costs in the new codex. Well wonder no more! I have compiled a list of everything! I made a comment in a thread with them but thought I would make an actual post for more visibility. If you think something may be wrong, let me know and I’ll look into it again. I had to decipher a sometimes blurry video so anything is possible.
Copy pasted from Facebook.
“From the livestream tactics talk:
• Shining Spears are down 6 points.
• No Ynnari in the Craftworlds codex. Ynnari armies don’t benefit from Craftworlds attributes.
• Dire Avengers are now 12 points a model (same as Rangers).
• New power Quickening, essentially Warptime. Pick a friendly Craftworlds unit within 18″ pf the caster. It can move as if it were the movement phase.
• Sounds like Guardians are the same cost (they discussed points costs for troop unit, said 60 points for base Dire Avenger and Ranger squads, Guardians are closer to 80 points (which is what they are currently).
• Warlord trait on the Avatar allows it to target characters in the shooting phase even if they aren’t the closest unit.
• Biel-tan attribute affects all shuriken weapons in the army.
• Warlord trait for +2 movement.
• Webway strike stratagem allows between 1-3 Craftworld units to enter the battlefielf using normal deep strike rules.
• Skystrike stratagem allows a unit with Fly to appear on the battlefield
• Banshee mask denies overwatch now instead of always striking first. They can advance and charge.
• Warwalkers now have an outflank ability
• Swooping Hawk guns are now Assault 4 instead of Rapid Fire 2, still 24” range.
• Swooping Hawks have dropped 4 points per model.
• Craftworlds can field a brigade for “less than 1100 points now.”
• 3 Dark Reapers are now ~80 points. Still have 3+ to hit regardless of modifiers in the shooting phase.
• Relic: When this models dies, on a 2+ it causes D3 mortal wounds. If those wounds kill a model, the model with the relic remains on the table with a single wound remaining. Only relic the Avatar can take.
• Phoenix Lords don’t benefit or effect Craftworld attributes. Can be taken in any Craftowlrds army without messing up the detachment bonus.
• New warlord trait: Puritanical leader: All units within 6″ of the warlord auto pass morale.
• Striking Scorpions down in points (didn’t say how much).
• “I saw a really nice comment on Reddit, actually…” Looks like they do browse the sub!
• No big changes to Wraithknights.
• Everything in the book benefits from the Craftworlds attribute. Hemlock Wraithfights of Alaitoc now have -2 to hit.
• Nightspinners down in points.
• Iyanden Warlord trait: At the start of the turn, roll a dice. On a 6, gain a command point.
• Falcon Grav tanks down by 50 points.
• Heavy weapons cheaper now.
• Warlocks are 35 points.
• Jain Zarr, all Banshees always fight first within 6″ of her.
• No changes to Storm Guardians.
• Empower psychic power: +1 to wound rolls for a friendly unit.
• 6 Runes of Fate. Guide, Doom, Fortune, Mind War, 2 other they mentioned quickly.
• “Harlequins and Ynnari will be in a codex at some point.” Implied they’d both get their own codex.
• Eldrad down in points plus some new lore.
• Windriders are 18 points with shuriken catapults. 28 for shuriken cannons.
• Ynnari rules packaged in the Triumverate box are the same as the index Xenos 1 rules.
• 15 points for scatter lasers
• “Tyranids are a really, really interesting book! We’ll talk about it in a couple of weeks ;)”
Looks like that’s it!